Velocity Micro Color eBook Reader Models Powered by Android OS with Velocity Micro Cruz eReader as High-End
Randy Copeland, President and CEO of Velocity Micro, made the official announcement of his company’s latest color e-Reader products. Velocity Micro is mostly famous for making premium desktop computers but they are now ready to rumble in the rich arena for eReaders. The current market leaders are Amazon’s Kindle and Barnes & Noble’s Nook eReader Android but both are using e-ink technology, thus they are limited to black & white display. Copeland is confident that their color e-readers will win the hearts of customers.
Velocity Micro is offering two color e-Readers, both of which will be running Android OS. The high-end model is called the Velocity Micro Cruz Reader which will retail for $199. The low price of these Android ebook readers are the same as the cheap Nook 3G ereader models featured in our past articles. However, the Cruz reader will feature a 7-inch multitouch widescreen 4:3 ratio display with 800×600 default resolution. It will only weigh less than a pound and measure half-an-inch thick. Velocity Micro has so far declined what processor the Cruz Reader will have but they are assuring the public that their e-reader will also feature smooth HD video playback and web browsing. Since it will be running Android OS, expect this eReader model to be able to run all apps already available in the Android Market. Velocity Micro, however, also announced that they are planning of putting up their own Velocity Micro Cruz Market app & media store with the help of their content provider partners.
Here are the Key Velocity Micro Cruz Reader Technical Specs
- Crystal clear 4:3 ratio, 800×600 full color touch screen display – ideal for viewing ebooks and magazines, plus web pages and movies
- Google Android Operating System
- 802.11b/g wifi and full Web browser support
- High res video and high quality audio playback with no proprietary content restrictions
- Built-in Dictionary, Notepad, Calendar, Alarm Clock, Contacts, Games, and other useful apps
- Built in accelerometer, tilt activated
- Enough built in storage for hundreds of books
- USB and SD card slot for upgradable storage, including a 2GB SD card
- Up to 10 hours of use and over 24 hours of standby time, with a replaceable battery
- Access to over 2 Million ebooks via included Borders E-book library portal application
- Access to the Cruz Market, an open content portal for downloading apps, magazines, and videos from a broad array of content providers.
Aside from the Cruz Reader, Velocity Micro is also going to market a cheaper color e-reader version. The company will be targeting schools and students for their $149 Cruz StoryPad e-reader. A low price since it will be catering to kids. This cheap Android eReader will feature drop-resistant construction. Kids will appreciate the included multimedia learning tools with every purchase of the Cruz StoryPad. It will also have a 7-inch touch screen display but the software running it will be a modified Android OS that will be kid-friendly.
Velocity Micro Cruz StoryPad’s Best Features:
- 7” 4:3 800×600 full color touch screen display
- Simplistic and intuitive navigation
- High-res video and high quality audio playback
- Preinstalled audio book content – reads classic stories as the child follows along
- SD card for additional storage
- Available in pink, blue, and green
Velocity Micro says these two e-readers will be available starting September 1 from all major retail and online stores. If you would like to know more about the Cruz line of e-readers, please visit their website, www.cruzreader.com. Sign-up for their newsletter and you might get the chance to pre-order them soon.