Here is a short tutorial on free iPhone 3G unlock using Yellowsnow iPhone 3G Unlock tool. Yellowsnow iPhone 3G Unlock software, by the way, has been upgraded to version 0.9.6. as of January 2009.
Also, according to the iPhone Dev Team, iPhone 3G owners who want to unlock their iPhone 3G phones should bear in mind the following basics and details in unlocking the iPhone 3G:
Basics of iPhone 3G Unlock
- The unlock works exclusively with baseband 02.28.00. This baseband is provided by the latest firmware update (iPhone 2.2 firmware) from Apple. You’ll need to upgrade to this release using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to activate etc. There are plenty of tutorials about this on iclarified, bigboss, modmi and other established tutorial sites. Because it works on 02.28.00, it is available to everyone on the planet. This means we don’t need to unnecessarily expose holes in earlier basebands, which is an important concern.
- The application is a small daemon that is launched on boot. It injects the payload at boot and also whenever there is a baseband reset. You won’t notice anything about it other than that your third-party sim now works. It’s a small program and unobtrusive. There is no GUI (this is by design).
- You can add the application using the sources outlined below. There are Cydia and Installer sources available, so use whichever you are comfortable using.
- Yellowsn0w is completely removable through Cydia, the command line, and iTunes.
Details of iPhone 3G Unlock
- There is a known issue with SIM cards that have STK (SIM Toolkit) application menus. These menus are usually items such as “top up” “get credit” “lotto numbers” etc. These menu items confuse the application sometimes. Removing and reinserting the SIM once after reboot (give it about 10 secs 60 seconds (with v0.9.1) after you see the slide to unlock widget) fixes this issue. We’re working on a better fix. Update: version 0.9.4 fixes this for many (but probably not all) users who previously had to wait a minute and then replug the sim.
- For those of you using SIM cards without STK menus, the application has some optional arguments that will make the unlock much faster for you. So either experiment on your own (use “yellowsn0w -h” for usage) or wait for a customization writeup.
- After you install Yellowsn0w via Cydia, you should return to the Cydia main menu then reboot your iPhone with the 3rd party SIM installed. Wait for the slide to unlock screen, then wait 10 or 15 secs more. If you don’t see your carrier name pop up, then remove your SIM, reinsert it, and wait 10 secs more. This is the step we’ll be working on eliminating next.
There you go. I hope you can carry out the steps on how to unlock your iPhone 3G and get successful results. Have fun with your iPhone 3G!