Here’s another Jailbreak iOS 4.1 guide we can offer you if you want to jailbreak your iPhone 3GS that’s running iPhone iOS 4.1. This trick uses an unofficial version of Pwnage Tool but it certainly works! This hack works on iPhone 3GS that has the old bootrom. Remember that Pwnage Tool is a boot-level jailbreak so if you already have jailbroken your iPhone 3GS with JailBreakMe 2.0 on iOS 4.0.1 and below, you will have to downgrade to iOS 3.1.3 or 3.1.2 and jailbreak that with PwnageTool, Snowbreeze or Spirit before proceeding with these steps.
1. Get iOS 4.1 and put in your desktop. Download at dkszone.net/download-ios-41-ipsw-iphone-4-3gs-3g-ipod-touch
2. Download and install iTunes 10 with Ping. Get from the iTunes Store. iTunes 10 for Windows and Mac OS X are available there.
3. Obtain the unofficial Pwnage Tool plus iOS 4.1 Jailbreak utility via this download link here – megaupload.com/?d=VZ52C0AY
4. Place Pwnage Tool and iOS 4.1 on the same folder on your desktop.
5. Back up your iPhone 3GS data including music, contacts, apps, settings, pictures, calendar, notes, messages via iTunes 10 sync.
6. Launch Pwnage Tool, choose ‘Simple Mode’ button in the top menu, select your device model (iPhone 3GS) and click the Next button (blue arrow).
8. Next screen Pwnage Tool will ask you ‘Do you have an iPhone contract that would activate normally through iTunes?’, click No.
9. After that, Pwnage Tool will now start building the custom firmware IPSW. During this process, it will ask you to enter your Mac password. Do not enter your password now! What you should do is to run the included iOS 4.1 Jailbreaker app that came with the PwnageTool bundle. Click Continue twice when running the Jailbreaker app to let it work its magic.
10. After running the free iOS 4.1 Jailbreak Tool, switch back to Pwnage Tool and enter the Mac password it needs. Let it finish the build process.
12. Last step, restore your iPhone 3GS to the custom iOS 4.1 firmware. To do this, go and launch iTunes 10, then select your device and pressing the ALT key click on the Restore button. Browse and select the custom firmware file on your desktop and let iTunes restore your iPhone 3GS!
That’s all you need to do. If you do the above steps correctly, you will have an iPhone 3GS with a Jailbroken iOS 4.1! Should your Cydia icon on the Homescreen is white, just launch Cydia, navigate to Manage –> Sources –> Edit –> Add and go add apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 as a source. And if your Safari browser keeps on crashing, just add repo.woowiz.net repository and install Safarifix app.
Other iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS unlock/jailbreak tutorials we can recommend can be found in some of our past articles for different iOS versions and Apple devices:
- Jailbreak iPod Touch and iPhone 3G iOS 4.0.2 Free With Redsnow 0.9.5 Unlocking Tool
- iPhone iOS 4.0.2 Free Download Available and Secures Exploits by Jailbreakme 2.0
- Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPad Tablet and iPod Touch iOS 4.0.1 Free With Jailbreakme 2.0 Unlocking Tool
- Download Pwnage Tool 4.01 Free Jailbreak Utility for iOS 4 (Unlock iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G)
Be sure to browse them all so whatever iPhone model and iOS version you have running (4.0, 4.01., 4.0.2, 4.1), there’s always something we can offer you to jailbreak/unlock your devices.